[Python-ideas] Consistency in naming [was Re: ...ALL CAPS]

Anders Hovmöller boxed at killingar.net
Fri Feb 1 18:06:47 EST 2019

> - the status quo means "no change", so there is no hassle there;

Not quite true. There is a constant hassle of "do I need to write datetime.datetime.now() or datetime.now()?"

I solved this at work by changing all imports to follow the "from datetime import datetime" pattern and hard banning the other statically in CI. But before that people suffered for years.

I have a colleague who likes to point that the future is longer than the past. It's important to keep that perspective. Also Python is still growing so there are more future users than current users. We should take this into account also.

/ Anders