[Python-ideas] Clearer communication

Abe Dillon abedillon at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 19:03:02 EST 2019

[Marcos Eliziario]

> Email is based on open standards with multiple implementations, most of
> them open source, that you can run basically wherever you want.
> Reddit is a product from a company, with a privately controlled API, and
> that may not even be here tomorrow, and it is not based on open standards.
> What happens if Reddit goes bankrupt tomorrow?

That's a good point. I suggested Reddit because it has a pretty extensive
feature list and is fairly simple to set-up and try. Maybe we could make
/r/python_thoughts instead of /r/python_ideas to denote the separation
(i.e. nothing posted on /r/python_thoughts will be automatically shared on
the python-ideas email list or vice-versa) or maybe there's some forum
software based on open standards that has a similar feature set? Or maybe
there are no open standards for internet forums, in which case, how would
one go about advocating for such a thing?

[Marcos Eliziario]

>  Simple is good. Email is simple.

Simple *can* be good, but it *can* also get in the way of fruitful
conversation...