[Python-ideas] Clearer communication

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Feb 2 01:45:38 EST 2019

On Fri, Feb 01, 2019 at 12:35:15PM -0600, Abe Dillon wrote:
> I've pitched this before but gotten little feedback (especially positive
> feedback), but I think a Reddit-style forum would be a pretty vast
> improvement. We could easily start a python_ideas subreddit to try it out.

I don't think you need anyone's permission to do so. Provided you don't
try to pass it off as in any way official or blessed by the PSF (not to
be confused with the Python Secret Underground which most emphatically
does not exist) you might as well try it and see what happens.

But some reasons why I am luke-warm on the idea:

- I can have as many email identities as I like; I can only have one
Reddit identity at a time.

If I want to keep my Reddit persona seperate from my Python persona, I
need to create multiple accounts (possibly violating the terms of
service?) and remember to log out of one and into the other.

- Too difficult (impossible?) to keep local human-readable copies of
either the discussion thread, or even your own posts.

- I have to explicitly go to the site to see what is happening, rather
than have the posts automatically arrive in my inbox.

- Reddit's new web UI. (How long before the "old.reddit..." URLs stop
working?)

--
Steven