[Python-ideas] Vectorization [was Re: Add list.join() please]

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Sat Feb 2 22:07:48 EST 2019

On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 10:00 PM MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:

> Perhaps a reserved attribute that let's you refer to the vector itself
> instead of its members, e.g. '.self'?

> <Vector of [3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3]>
>  >>> len(v.self)
> 12

I like that! But I'm not sure if '.self' is misleading.  I use an attribute
called '._it' already that does exactly this.  But since we're asking the
length of the list or tuple or set or deque or etc that the Vector wraps,
does it feel like it would be deceptive to call them all '.self'?

I'm really not sure.  I could just rename '._it' to '.self' and get the
behavior you show (well, I still need a little checking whether the thing
wrapped is a collection or an iterator ... I guess a '.self' property.  Or
some other name to do that).

You remind me that I need to at .__getitem__() too so I can slice and index
Vectors.  But I know how to do that easily enough.