[Python-ideas] Clearer communication

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Feb 3 03:06:49 EST 2019

On Sat, Feb 02, 2019 at 10:57:40AM -0500, James Lu wrote:
> It’s very demotivating to hear just negative feedback on this list.
>
> Was starting this thread useful for y’all?

Do you want an honest answer, or positive feedback? ("It was great!")

Personally, no, it wasn't useful for me.

It was a major time-sink to read a large number of emails mostly arguing
about the pros and cons of email versus web forums, the value of Like
buttons, and whether or not you can access Reddit outside of a browser.
But when you get down to the fundamentals, none of these matter for
effective communication. We can write lazy, confusing, knee-jerk posts
on Reddit just as easily as via email.

(If anything, the easier the medium for communication, the lazier, more
confusing and more knee-jerk we will be.)

As far as I can tell, I was the only person who actually tried to
provide some concrete suggestions for communicating clearly. Although it
is still only early days, maybe others will give their own suggestions
over the next few days.

(Come one guys, don't let me be the only one answering James' direct
question.)

Apologies if I missed other people's insights on clear communication. I
did go back through the thread looking, but perhaps I didn't look
closely enough.

--
Steven