[Python-ideas] Mention more alternative implementations on the PSF website

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 17:38:17 EST 2019

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 9:32 AM James Lu <jamtlu at gmail.com> wrote:

> https://www.python.org/download/alternatives/ should possibly mention:
>
> - Cython and Nuitka
> - Mention the possibility of compiling Python to WASM
>    - WASM allows Web and Mobile use of Python at possibly native speed. Though not mature yet, Pyodide is a working implementation.

That page lists only the most notable or popular implementations. If
you want a list of lesser-known Python implementations, try the
community wiki:

https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonImplementations

Cython and Nuitka are both there. I don't know how WASM works or how
you would compile Python to it, but if "Pyodide" is the name of that
compiler, then it's not currently mentioned. You'd be most welcome to
add it; since it's a wiki, you don't need anyone's permission (other
than a basic anti-spambot check if you've never edited before).

ChrisA