[Python-ideas] Consistency in naming [was Re: ...ALL CAPS] (off-list)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 18:50:41 EST 2019

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 10:02 AM Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> (3) In the thread about improving communication, I mentioned that the
> easier it is to make comments, the more likely it is for people to make
> poor-quality comments. In my experience, posting from a phone is one of
> those tools that encourages poor-quality comments.
>
> It is each person's responsibility to either use a better communication
> tool (better does not necessarily mean more convenient) or to manage
> their own use of the tool better. I've seen too many people blame their
> tools for their own repeated mistakes: "I can't help it, it's my phone,
> it makes it too hard to do the right thing." Who is the master, them or
> their phone?

Let's see.

* You don't usually get much, if any, choice of operating system
* Even if you can get a terminal app, it doesn't get true access,
especially not root
* "Jailbreaking" your phone - that is, getting actual access to it -
generally voids your warranty

You don't own your phone. It owns you.

I don't carry a phone. Terrible UI, locked-down device, the ONLY thing
it has going for it is that it fits in your hand/pocket. I'd much
rather carry a laptop (running Debian GNU/Linux). True, my mobile
connection still comes from a device I don't have control of, but it's
JUST a network connection, using standard 802.11 to communicate with
the laptop.

ChrisA