[Python-ideas] PEP 8 update on line length

Simon simon.bordeyne at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 23:37:29 EST 2019

Hello,

I'd like to propose an update to PEP8. Indeed, the 80 characters per line
guideline is, I feel, outdated.

I understand the need for it, back when monitors were small, and everyone
coded on terminals, but nowadays, I feel like that guideline is more of a
hinderance, and that it promotes poor code.

Indeed, people abiding by this rule tend to choose shorter variable names,
reduce the amount of indentation, and other tricks to just keep the
character count under 80. I think a 100 or even 120 suggested characters
per line count is much more realistic by today's standards. It still allow
for the code to be completely displayed, even on just half of a screen.