[Python-ideas] PEP 8 update on line length

Cameron Simpson cs at cskk.id.au
Tue Feb 19 04:15:48 EST 2019

On 19Feb2019 00:09, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>On 2/18/2019 11:37 PM, Simon wrote:
>>I'd like to propose an update to PEP8. Indeed, the 80 characters per
>>line guideline is, I feel, outdated.
>>I understand the need for it, back when monitors were small, and
>>everyone coded on terminals, but nowadays, I feel like that guideline
>>is more of a hinderance, and that it promotes poor code.
>
>The majority of core developers, to whom PEP 8 applies, seem to disagree.

I'm not a core developer and I also disagree.

>>Indeed, people abiding by this rule tend to choose shorter variable
>>names, reduce the amount of indentation, and other tricks to just
>>keep the character count under 80. I think a 100 or even 120
>>suggested characters per line count is much more realistic by
>>today's standards. It still allow for the code to be completely
>>displayed, even on just half of a screen.
>
>Do you every print on paper?  In tiny type?  Or sideways?
>
>Anyway, 3 80-column windows side-by-side is really nice.  For instance,
>shell, code file, test file.

I like 4 80 column windows. 2 for the editing and either 2 shells or a
single wide shell.

And 80 columns doesn't really influence my variable name sizes.

The longer the line, the harder it is to apprehend. To my mind 80
columns is a nice upper limit: long enough for expressiveness, short
enough to easily scan.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au>