[Python-ideas] PEP 8 update on line length

Samuel Colvin S at muelcolvin.com
Tue Feb 19 10:28:05 EST 2019

> Nothing says that you have to write an entire function header on one line.

Of course. I just think that code with a 7 line function header is much
harder to read and understand than code with a one line function header.
For example: it's less likely that two chunks of code I'm looking at are
still visible on the screen at the same time in the former case.

I'm simply arguing that since python has changed, it might make sense to
change this recomendation too. That what would have been on one line in
2000 should still be on one line in 2019, despite changes to the language.

I'm going to leave this conversation now as it seem to be primarily opinion
based and I generally find opinion based discussions almost as annoying as
meta-conversations about how the list should be run. :-)

Samuel