[Python-ideas] PEP 8 update on line length

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Feb 19 12:12:23 EST 2019

On 19.02.2019 18:06, Anders Hovmöller wrote:

>>> I would like to point out here that breaking up a line breaks grepping quite badly. I've had to write AST-based searches to find simple usages of arguments in the code base at work precisely because of code that is split on likes like this. (This tool is available here: https://github.com/boxed/parso_utils)
>>
>> How odd.  I always break up long lines like this, and I've never once had an issue grepping.
>
> Maybe you know some grep magic I don't? Is there a way to do multi line grep that knows that open paren means to ignore new lines until the matching close paren? I'd love to hear about it!

This should help:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3717772/regex-grep-for-multi-line-search-needed

but you can also use Python's re module with the re.DOTALL flag.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Feb 19 2019)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      http://www.malemburg.com/