[Python-ideas] PEP 8 update on line length

Dan Sommers 2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com
Tue Feb 19 12:15:29 EST 2019

On 2/19/19 11:06 AM, Anders Hovmöller wrote:

 > Maybe you know some grep magic I don't? Is there a way to> do multi
 > line grep that knows that open paren means to ignore new lines until
 > the matching close paren? I'd love to hear about it!

At the risk of jumping in over my head with respect to the technical
limitations of regular expressions, grep already can't deal with
matching parenthesis.  Consider:

     f(g(h(a=4), b=5), c=6)

Can grep tell me that I'm passing c to f but not to g or h?

Disclaimer:  I don't write code like that.  Most of the time.