[Python-ideas] add fluent operator to everything

Rhodri James rhodri at kynesim.co.uk
Thu Feb 21 10:56:34 EST 2019

On 21/02/2019 15:47, Robert Vanden Eynde wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2019, 16:44 Rhodri James, <rhodri at kynesim.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 21/02/2019 15:31, Robert Vanden Eynde wrote:
>>> In funcoperators, because the dot operator is just syntaxic sugar for
>>> functions getattr and setattr with a string,
>> [snip hideousness]
>>
>> I have to say, that's a pretty strong argument for not touching
>> funcoperators with a ten foot bargepool.
>>

> What do you mean ?
>
> I don't mind touching funcoperators, I try to understand the need and find
> solutions using existing tools.

(I meant bargepole, not bargepool, obviously.  Sorry about the typos, I
have two other projects crowding my brain at the moment and may not make
a great deal of sense.)

I mean it looked horrible.  If someone put code like that in front of
me, I would assume that the writer was being clever for the sake of
being clever and rewrite it in a way that I would probably be able to
read later without half an hour of puzzling first.

I flat out do not see the need for fluent operators.  What the heck is
wrong with putting separate operations on separate lines?  It's easier
to read, and gives you shorter lines into the bargin (see the 80-column
argument going on elsewhere).

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd