[Python-ideas] PEP 8 update on line length

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 27 18:02:00 EST 2019

On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 5:53 AM Rhodri James <rhodri at kynesim.co.uk> wrote:

> > To be a bit less harsh -- that is, change the clause:
> >
> > "For code maintained exclusively or primarily by a team that can reach
> > agreement on this issue, it is okay ..."
> >
> > To maybe just
> >
> > "For code maintained  by a team that can reach agreement on this issue,
> it
> > is okay ..."
>
> I would prefer not.  The wording as given emphasizes that the team isn't
> expecting outsiders to work on their code.  I think that's quite
> important, especially when you consider that PEP8 only really has force
> for the standard library.

Huh? in the case of the stdlib, the "team" is the python core devs -- they
could decide to increase the line length if they want (though I imagine if
they did, they's probably change the PEP :- )

Anyway, not a biggie -- just might get folks to chill out a bit and stop
pushing to change the PEP ...

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov