[Python-ideas] AMEND PEP-8 TO DISCOURAGE ALL CAPS

Abe Dillon abedillon at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 18:43:58 EST 2019

>  Changing this in the PEP will make an absurd amount of code which is
> PEP-8 compliant no longer so.

It depends on how we change it. There's plenty of room to compromise
between explicitly mandating all caps and explicitly forbidding all caps.
We could simply remove the section that says to use all caps for constants.
We could replace that section with a statement that while it's discouraged,
it doesn't violate pep8 when used for constants. We could change some of
the documentation (especially around enums) to show non-all-caps style is
acceptable. etc.