[Python-ideas] unittest: 0 tests pass means failure of the testsuite

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Wed Mar 6 15:12:52 EST 2019

Hi,

I am a lead maintainer of Python packages in OpenSUSE and I can
see the pattern of many packagers adding blindly

    python setup.py test

to %check section of our SPEC file. The problem is that if the
package doesn't use unittest (it actually uses nose, pytest or
something), it could lead to zero found tests, which pass and
Python returns exit code 0 (success) even though nothing has been
tested. It seems from the outside that everything is all right,
package is being tested on every build, but actually it is lie.

Would it be possible to change unittest runner, so that when 0
tests pass, whole test suite would end up failing?

Thank you for considering this,

Matěj

https://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by
stupidity.
    -- Napoleon Bonaparte (or many other people to whom this
       quote is ascribed)