[Python-ideas] unittest: 0 tests pass means failure of the testsuite

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Thu Mar 7 01:51:35 EST 2019

Nathaniel Smith píše v St 06. 03. 2019 v 19:21 -0800:
> You probably want to file a bug on the setuptools tracker:
> https://github.com/pypa/setuptools
>
> It's maintained by different people than Python itself, and is
> responsible for defining 'setup.py test'.

I think we have to bugs (or deficiencies) here:

1. setup.py tries too hard and it pretends to collect zero tests suite even when it failed

2. unittest claims everything is OK, when zero tests passed (and zero were skipped, that's a good point by Terry Reedy, completely skipped test suite is legitimate in some situations). And no https://bugs.python.org/issue34279 is not exactly it, it is about regrtest, not unittest, but it could be probably adapted.

Matěj

https://matej.ceplovi.cz/blog/, Jabber: mcepl at ceplovi.cz
GPG Finger: 3C76 A027 CA45 AD70 98B5  BC1D 7920 5802 880B C9D8

Give your heartache to him. (1Pt 5,7; Mt 11:28-30)