[Python-ideas] Make Python 2.7’s online docs optionally redirect to Python 3 online docs

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Mar 7 08:56:06 EST 2019

On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 08:10:20AM -0500, James Lu wrote:

> Rationale: When I use a search engine to google a Python question, I
> frequently get a link to a page of the Python 2.7 documentation that
> shows before the Python 3 documentation link.
>
> This is annoying and slows down my programming.

Please see

https://bugs.python.org/issue35435

and related links from that issue.

I've found that the search engines are getting better at linking to the
more recent docs. For example, all of these:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=python+docs+random

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=python+docs+itertools

https://www.bing.com/search?q=python+docs+netrc

https://www.startpage.com/do/search?q=python+docs+array

https://www.dogpile.com/serp?q=python+docs+shutil

give me Python 3 first and Python 2 second. Even the comparatively
obscure "sndhdr" module gets Python 3 first:

https://www.google.com/search?q=python+docs+sndhdr

However these gives Python 2 first:

https://www.startpage.com/do/search?q=python+docs+netrc

https://www.dogpile.com/serp?q=python+docs+fileinput

But note that the docs do include a drop down menu to select the
version, so it shouldn't be that difficult to swap from old versions to
the most recent.

(Unless you're looking at *really* old versions like 1.5.)

--
Steven