[Python-ideas] The $update operator for dictionaries

Rhodri James rhodri at kynesim.co.uk
Mon Mar 11 07:41:00 EDT 2019

On 09/03/2019 21:13, Jonathan Fine wrote:
> I'm adopting an idea suggested by Anders and Chris.
>
> To allow us better to focus on the main idea and purpose, I've
> replaced '@' by '$' in the initial suggestion. And if the main idea is
> accepted, we can if needed have an secondary discussion regarding the
> details of the syntax.
>
> Here's the restatement. I've also changed the subject line.
>
> I've been thinking that it might be easier, in the long term, to make
> a big step and allow
>      >>> a $update= b
> as valid Python. What do you think? (I hope it will look nicer once
> syntax highlighted.)

I think it's horribly Perl-like, but I'll reserve judgement until you
tell us exactly what you expect this to achieve.  So far you appear to
be trying to create random operators to no great purpose.  What is the
problem you are seeking to solve here, and why is it worse than the
problems you are creating?

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd