[Python-ideas] OT: Respectful behaviour

Rhodri James rhodri at kynesim.co.uk
Mon Mar 11 11:45:38 EDT 2019

On 11/03/2019 15:37, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 2:30 AM Jonathan Fine <jfine2358 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Someone made a proposal whose purpose was not clear. A second person
>> criticised the first person for this. A third person (me) referred to
>> the public guidelines for the use of this list. A fourth person, in a
>> new thread, accused the third person of hijacking the thread. The
>> third person (me) responded, with the previous remarks.
>
> TBH your link to the public guidelines was not quite a response to the
> second post, as the second post was talking about *content* and you
> were talking about *behaviour*. It's perfectly possible to remain
> entirely within the Code of Conduct, but still not provide enough
> context for the post; it's also entirely possible to make a post that
> has all sorts of useful information, but is caustic, rude, racist,
> sexist, or in any other way violates the CoC. The former is perfectly
> legitimate content, but will result in an on-topic response asking for
> more details; the latter might get you banned from the list.
>
> That said, though - I don't think Rhodri's response was really
> necessary here. Calling your post "unrelated" is stretching it a bit,
> and it wasn't an inconsiderate post, just not quite a direct response.
> *shrug*

Had Jonathan retitled his post to be clear he was not addressing the
original issue (the first unclear post), I wouldn't have had an issue
with it.  However he didn't, and his post wasn't on the subject (or
attempting to clarify the subject) of the the first post.  In a post
talking about respect and good conduct, that's quite a failing.  In my
opinion, obviously.

--
Rhodri James *-* Kynesim Ltd