[Python-ideas] Code version evolver

Dan Sommers 2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com
Fri Mar 15 15:44:21 EDT 2019

On 3/15/19 2:34 PM, francismb wrote:

> I understand that no one really wants to annoy the language users by
> breaking the code and that's why those changes are considered carefully.
>
> Is that may be because there is no easy way to write a translator? or
> there is no translator to help transition?

Translating existing code is a small problem when the
language changes backwards-incompatibly.  The larger
problem is unlearning what I used to know and learning a
new language.  If that happens enough, I'll stop using a
language.  One of Python's strengths is that it evolves
very slowly, and knowledge I work hard to accumulate now
remains useful for a long time.