[Python-ideas] PEP: Dict addition and subtraction

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Mar 16 06:49:15 EDT 2019

On Sat, 16 Mar 2019 03:44:02 +1100
Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 12:34:45PM +0100, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 Mar 2019 10:58:02 +1100
> > Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Lots of words that basically say: Stuff wouldn't be perfectly pure.
> >
> > Chris, please learn to think twice before contributing what is
> > essentially a trivialization of someone else's arguments.  You're not
> > doing anything useful here, and are just sounding like an asshole who
> > wants to shut people up.
>
> I don't think you are being fair here, and I'd rather avoid getting into
> unhelpful arguments about tone and whether Chris is "trivializing" (a
> perjorative term) or "simplifying" (a more neutral term) Josh's
> position. But if you feel that Chris (and I) have missed parts of Josh's
> argument, then by all means point out what we missed.

When someone posts an elaborate argument (regardless of whether they are
right or not) and someone else responds a one-liner that reduces it to
"lots of words" and claims to rephrase it as a short caricatural
statement, then it seems fair to me to characterize it as
"trivializing".

But if you feel that I missed a subtlety in Chris' position, and if
you feel he was more respectful of the OP than I felt he was, then by
all means point out what I missed.

Regards

Antoine.