[Python-ideas] dict.merge(d1, d2, ...) (Counter proposal for PEP 584)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 06:09:57 EDT 2019

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 at 07:46, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

> > If a+b already worked for dicts, would you still prefer {**a, **b}?
>
> Example: {**sys.modules, **globals()}
>
> Aside from the fact that I can patch *and* backport to 3.7 *now*, I
> think so.  The latter clearly (to me) maps mappings to a dict.
>
> > How about if it were spelled a|b?
>
> As in sys.modules | globals() or (sys.modules | globals())?  Closer.

Adding a comment here because it's new information (to me, about my
subjective preferences, at least). I accept that it's "just" more
comment on the whole point about what people subjectively prefer, but
at some point the *amount* of subjective preference has to be
considered, not everything can be decided purely on objective grounds,
so hopefully it's still a useful data point.

This is probably the first example of "real world" code written using
{**d1, **d2} notation alongside d1+d2 and d1|d2 notation that has
caught my attention (I've been skimming, I may have missed some). And
I have to say that I find {**d1, **d2} (when used with real values
rather than d1 and d2) *far* more obvious in context than either of
the operator notations. I wouldn't have expected that - my intuition
was that {**d1, **d2} is too punctuation-heavy and "perlish". But
surprisingly that's not the case at all.

If I ever needed side effect free dictionary merging as an expression,
I'd now definitely prefer {**d1, **d2} to any operator form.

Paul