[Python-ideas] META: Is a PEP a good place to record Python's core design decisions and coding principles?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 13:23:36 EDT 2019

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 4:16 AM Jonathan Fine <jfine2358 at gmail.com> wrote:
> FACTS, AXIOMS and THEOREM
>
> Chris Angelico wrote:
>>
>> It's way WAY simpler than all this. "Iterable" isn't a type, it's a
>> protocol; in fact, "iterable" just means "has an __iter__ method".
>

> I think that for Chris this is a FACT about Python. This is the way Python is.

"For me"? No. It is, pure and simply, a fact about Python. That is how
the language is defined. It's not "for me" a fact, as if facts might
not be facts for other people. That isn't how facts work, and it isn't
how Python works.

Here's some documentation on the iterator protocol, and if you want to
discuss further, python-list hasn't had a long and rambling thread on
"why are iterators the way they are" for a while... have fun.

https://docs.python.org/3/library/stdtypes.html#typeiter

ChrisA