[Python-ideas] New Project to Capture summaries from this

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 23:23:52 EDT 2019

On Fri, Mar 29, 2019 at 2:07 PM Stephen J. Turnbull
<turnbull.stephen.fw at u.tsukuba.ac.jp> wrote:

> Chris Angelico writes:
>
>  > General principle: People who complain about email are using
>  > suboptimal clients, people who complain about non-email systems are
>  > using suboptimal services. And there's nothing that's truly optimal in
>  > either case (some email clients do come close, but only for their
>  > current users, not for new users).
>
> There's a big difference, though.  Email users choose their own email
> clients.  If you choose GMail, well, "sorry, you chose GMail."  (I
> understand that avoiding GMail on Apple handhelds is kinda hard,
> AppleMail sucking amazingly and all.  But writing technical discussion
> on a phone is strictly for disasters, anyway, at least IME.)

That's half of my point (the distinction between "suboptimal clients"
and "suboptimal services"), but the other half is that every time
someone says "sorry, you chose Gmail", there's a lengthy discussion
that ends up NOT showcasing any sort of perfect alternative - and
often not even any *better* alternatives. Have you ever actually
convinced someone to move off Gmail onto some other client?

ChrisA