[Python-ideas] [SPAM?] Re: shutil.symlink to allow non-race replacement of existing link targets

Tue May 14 07:56:55 EDT 2019

On 5/14/19 6:55 AM, Rhodri James wrote:
> On 14/05/2019 05:50, Anders Hovmöller wrote:
>>

>>> On 14 May 2019, at 04:24, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
>>>
>>> *wink*. Function names are mnemonics, not documentation.
>>
>> Certainly not with that attitude. But it easily could be. Maybe you
>> would be fine with a language where all function names are just hex
>> values? *wink* (yes I think this was rude but that's my point).
>
> I'm an assembler programmer.  Function names *are* just hex values :-)

Actually, even to an assembler programmer, most Function names are
symbolic labels. Yes, you CAN write a call to an absolute (or relative)
memory address, but that is unusual unless you are writing an in memory
patch to an already established program.

Do you really write something like:

  call  0x32453

very often?

--