[Python-ideas] Add GraalPython to the list of Python implementations

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu May 23 16:08:03 EDT 2019

On Fri, May 24, 2019 at 6:01 AM James Lu <jamtlu at gmail.com> wrote:

> https://github.com/graalvm/graalpython
> https://www.python.org/download/alternatives/
>
> GraalPython is an implementation on the Truffle VM, by Oracle Labs. The Truffle
> VM gives Python high-performance interoperability with other languages-
> including JVM, LLVM, Ruby, and JavaScript. The Truffle VM is an "AST
> Interpreter," which I think means that it executes an interpreter over AST
> nodes, then compiles and inlines those nodes to machine code as necessary.
>

>From the opening of the GitHub repo's README: "This is an early-stage
experimental implementation of Python."

The page on python.org links only to a small number of popular and
complete implementations of the language. Rather than seeking a
listing there, may I suggest the Python wiki instead?

https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonImplementations

You can edit that page yourself (check the instructions if you don't
currently have permissions) to add the listing.

ChrisA