[Python-ideas] Operator as first class citizens -- like in scala -- or yet another new operator?

David Mertz mertz at gnosis.cx
Sat May 25 18:04:20 EDT 2019

I don't really understand HDL/Verilog, but I've worked with people who do.
In fact, I even wrote a pre-processor that transformed the same DSL to
Python, C++, and Verilog.

In my mind, the HDL use case is FAR too narrow and specialized to warrant a
new arrow operator, let an entirely new parser and semantics around
arbitrary operators. There are several existing dunders that could
plausibly be repurposed already (<<, <<=, <=, etc). Those might look
sightly different than the verilog operators, but that's a very small
price. In fact, just using attributes and assignment is an incredibly low
bar too, and allows whatever overriding you wish.

I just don't buy the idea that such a DSL can only be useful if it spells
'abc <== message' and useless if it spelled the same thing as 'abc <<=
message'.