[Python-ideas] Operator as first class citizens -- like in scala -- or yet another new operator?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed May 29 20:55:42 EDT 2019

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 11:00:41AM +1200, Greg Ewing wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
> >The obvious solution to customising assignment is to use a dotted
> >target:
> >
> >    obj.x = value
>
> Another problem with this is that we don't want to customise *all*
> assignments. Sometimes we just want a regular Python assignment.
> (See my previous post about two different kinds of assignment.)
>
> I think that talking about this in terms of "customising assignment"
> is misleading and is causing a lot of confusion.

You might be right, but then the first first post in this thread talked
about it:

    I realize there is no way to overload the behavior of the
    assignment operator in python

    ... where signal = 5 will always make signal to be 5, instead of
    feeding 5 into this signal.

(the second being a *bad thing*) so I'm pretty sure that using a new
assignment-like operator instead of = is the OP's second choice.

--
Steven