patch to compile with OpenLDAP 2.0.7

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Fri Nov 17 19:41:12 CET 2000

David Leonard wrote:

> i have a medium concern, something that i've been guilty of and would like
> to see go away, and that is conditional existance of interfaces.
>
> eg  ufn_search_s() might be #ifdef'd out and some python program that wants
> to use it will get a NameError when it tries to use it. A better exception
> would be NotImplementedError.

Kick it out. Even the exception you mentioned isn't necessary. No
serious LDAP programmer used it I guess.

> A similar problem arises with 'constants'.. I'm not sure what to do here..
> make all undefined cosntants equal None?

Just kick it out.

> also there should be some nice way of reliably determining the
> underlying library's api version ... maybe _ldap.api_version...
> any suggestions on how that might be done nicely are welcome.

I even have no problems with starting from scratch. I happily
rewrite the changed parts in web2ldap just to get proper LDAPv3
support and SSL/TLS...

Maybe let's start with a new LDAPEXT-inspired python-ldap 2.x?