python-ldap-2.0

David Leonard david.leonard at dstc.edu.au
Sun Dec 10 23:27:49 CET 2000

On Sun, 10 Dec 2000, Michael Ströder typed thusly:
> I think we should leave the 1.x stuff as is and start with
> python-ldap-ext based on OpenLDAP 2.0.x...

Okay, to keep everyone on the list informed:

Michael, as a knowledgable Karlsruhe local, showed me all the local
restaurants that have closed down and then we discussed the direction for
python-ldap. After a few drinks, and a discussion on cats, we agreed on
the following plan:

	* python-ldap-1.10 will be tidied up, with just the memory-leak
	  patches applied, and a proper documentation build. (ie no v3
	  changes will be applied as it breaks v2 builds.) A final release
	  will be made.

	* A new python-ldap-2.0 will be started, with an API that is likely
	  to be somewhat incompatible with that of p-l-1.10. In particular,
	  the following will be the major compatibility targets:
		+ Python-2.0 support (ie unicode)
		+ OpenLDAP-2.0 support (ie LDAPv3/LDAP-EXT)

This means that people relying on v2 client/servers should be happy enough
with a reasonably stable release.  And people wanting to live in the 3rd
millenium should be happy with a version (relatively) free of legacy support.

Please, comment! Are there problems with the above plan?

In addition, I seek more comment on any more changes that the _ldap library
may need to support LDAPv3 connections. (Remember that the purpose of this
module is not to give an abstraction of X.500 directory services, but rather
to provide an abstraction of the LDAP C API.)

David Leonard                           David.Leonard at dstc.edu.au
DSTC                                    Room:78-632  Ph:+61 7 336 58358
The University of Queensland            http://www.dstc.edu.au/
QLD 4072  AUSTRALIA                     B73CD65FBEF4C089B79A8EBADF1A932F13EA0FC8

I put my chin on my knee, and looked for flaws in the soft grain of my
beige plastic monitor casing. - Julian Assange