python-ldap-2.0

Gregor Hoffleit gregor at hoffleit.de
Sun Dec 17 11:30:16 CET 2000

On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 07:05:53PM +1000, David Leonard wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Gregor Hoffleit typed thusly:
> > When you write 'Python 2.0 support' and 'free of legacy support', does this
> > mean that this new version won't work anymore with Python 1.5.2 ?
>
> yes... is that a problem?

No fatal problem, just a sort of inconvenience: It's a longer story...

Due to the GPL problems with the new Python license, Debian will provide and
maintain both Python 1.5.2 and Python 2.0 packages. It's on the maintainer
of a package depending on Python to decide if the license of his package
allows to be used with Python 2.0, or if he has to stick with Python 1.5.2
if he doesn't want to infringe the license. Users of third-party Python code
will have to make the same decision.

IIRC, quite a few services inside Debian are using python-ldap
(http://db.debian.org/), e.g. for maintenance of the maintainer database.
I'm not sure which sorts of code are involved there, and if they were ready
to switch to Python 2.0, but if I would prefer to provide them with a
python-ldap package which works on both 2.0 as well as 1.5.2.

But if that's not feasible, I can simply split the package and stick with
the old legacy code as python-ldap for 1.5.2 and provide the new code as
python2-ldap.

    Gregor