Python and OpenLDAP 2

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Sat May 5 20:11:58 CEST 2001

Stig, Konstantin,

sorry for the late reply. I was on vacation for two weeks.

Stig Venaas wrote:

> A coworker asked me about Python and OpenLDAP 2.

Does your co-worker really need features of the OpenLDAP 2 libs?

> I thought you
> Konstantin were porting Python in order to help Michael use
> LDAPv3 stuff in web2ldap. How's it going?

The patches of Konstantin work but not thoroughly tested. You can do
a LDAPv3 bind a get search continuations, no schema or SSL/STARTTLS
support. There might be some cave-ats because the OpenLDAP 2 libs
seem to behave somewhat different.

> Will this be in official Python distribution at some point?

Many people are asking... Cc: to python-ldap-dev list.

> If my coworker wants to try
> Python and OpenLDAP 2, what should he do?

1. Grab the patches from the mailing list archive or ask me.
2. Subscribe to python-ldap-dev list.
3. Jump on in.

> Don't know anything about
> Python myself, although I've got friends raving about it (:

Stig, it's a shame! ;-)