ANNC and query: ldapmodule-1.10a3-patched RPMs available

David Leonard david.leonard at csee.uq.edu.au
Wed May 9 03:30:15 CEST 2001

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Joe Little typed thusly:

> Link all you want :)
done!

> Indeed. I know one of the maintainers of the PerLDAP stuff. Its not very
> pretty, but even the python-ldap code has gotten less pretty than I'd
> like. I definitely want to keep away from the PerLDAP api which doesn't
> provide much abstraction or object-orientation (good, standard
> initialization)

i suppose a first question is, how object-oriented do you want the
directory to appear? If you just want an 'ldap' object on which you
call various methods, with DNs and so forth, then that's pretty straight
forward. swig will do it. you get an ldap object per ldap server connection.

on the other hand, if you want every entry in the directory to be an object,
and maybe the attributes too then that's a bit more work and perhaps too
fine grained to get real work done with. for people who want to (say) write
graphical directory browsers, they'd end up using those patterns that
parallel object trees and it will get quite messy.

> > i feel its important to discuss how you'd like to see yourself
> > interacting
> > with ldap through python. there have been some past emails containing my
> > suggestions and fog has some work towards a high level X.500 interface
> > for python.
>
> I'll try and look into it. Any specific time period off hand?

now? ;)

> Full-featured would be great, but you are correct that there are new
> requirements and possibly a secure-access only API may be sufficient (as
> in more LDAP support and less LBER requirements).

sounds good.

different people on this list have different needs.

David Leonard                           David.Leonard at csee.uq.edu.au
Dept of Comp. Sci. and Elec. Engg   _   Room:78-640  Ph:+61 7 336 51187
The University of Queensland       |+|  http://www.csee.uq.edu.au/~leonard/
QLD 4072  AUSTRALIA               ~` '~ B73CD65FBEF4C089B79A8EBADF1A932F13EA0FC8

Why are apartments so close together?