ANNC and query: ldapmodule-1.10a3-patched RPMs available

Joe Little jlittle at open-it.org
Wed May 9 03:11:06 CEST 2001

Comments are below

On Tuesday, May 8, 2001, at 06:01  PM, David Leonard wrote:

>> http://open-it.org/download   (in either redhat6.2/RPMS or the like you
>> find it)
>
> ok to link to this from the 'download' page?

Link all you want :)

> I've used swig before, and ended up writing such python-specific code
> that swig was becoming a nusiance. You may have different experience,
> or maybe swig has gotten better.

It would appear that both SWIG and Zope's python-scripting have gotten
better. The key definitely is making ldap OO enough...

> the point of using swig is to make it accessible in more scripting
> languages
> than just python.. which is admittedly a nice thing. it means that more
> thought has to be put into the api.
>
>> Is python-ldap basically abandon-ware at this point? Being in "a3" for
>> about a year is pretty "abandoned" to me.
>
> yes its pretty close to abandonware :)
> with openldap2 a rewrite is a good idea. i personally just don't have
> much time nor motivation to do it all again. that's why its in
> sourceforge :)
>
> the other thing that i do not track, but that stroeder seems to, is what
> o-o apis are emerging for ldap. there is the java-ldap ietf draft, there
> is also perl's (ugly imho).

Indeed. I know one of the maintainers of the PerLDAP stuff. Its not very
pretty, but even the python-ldap code has gotten less pretty than I'd
like. I definitely want to keep away from the PerLDAP api which doesn't
provide much abstraction or object-orientation (good, standard
initialization)

> i feel its important to discuss how you'd like to see yourself
> interacting
> with ldap through python. there have been some past emails containing my
> suggestions and fog has some work towards a high level X.500 interface
> for python.

I'll try and look into it. Any specific time period off hand?

> on the other hand, just getting something to work with openldap2 via
> swig
> would make progress and maybe that's all that you and other people
> really need?

Full-featured would be great, but you are correct that there are new
requirements and possibly a secure-access only API may be sufficient (as
in more LDAP support and less LBER requirements).