ANNC and query: ldapmodule-1.10a3-patched RPMs available

David Leonard david.leonard at csee.uq.edu.au
Wed May 9 03:01:44 CEST 2001

> http://open-it.org/download   (in either redhat6.2/RPMS or the like you
> find it)

ok to link to this from the 'download' page?

I've used swig before, and ended up writing such python-specific code
that swig was becoming a nusiance. You may have different experience,
or maybe swig has gotten better.

the point of using swig is to make it accessible in more scripting languages
than just python.. which is admittedly a nice thing. it means that more
thought has to be put into the api.

> Is python-ldap basically abandon-ware at this point? Being in "a3" for
> about a year is pretty "abandoned" to me.

yes its pretty close to abandonware :)
with openldap2 a rewrite is a good idea. i personally just don't have
much time nor motivation to do it all again. that's why its in sourceforge :)

the other thing that i do not track, but that stroeder seems to, is what
o-o apis are emerging for ldap. there is the java-ldap ietf draft, there
is also perl's (ugly imho).

i feel its important to discuss how you'd like to see yourself interacting
with ldap through python. there have been some past emails containing my
suggestions and fog has some work towards a high level X.500 interface
for python.

on the other hand, just getting something to work with openldap2 via swig
would make progress and maybe that's all that you and other people
really need?

go for it.

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Joe Little typed thusly:

David Leonard                           David.Leonard at csee.uq.edu.au
Dept of Comp. Sci. and Elec. Engg   _   Room:78-640  Ph:+61 7 336 51187
The University of Queensland       |+|  http://www.csee.uq.edu.au/~leonard/
QLD 4072  AUSTRALIA               ~` '~ B73CD65FBEF4C089B79A8EBADF1A932F13EA0FC8

Why are apartments so close together?