ANNC and query: ldapmodule-1.10a3-patched RPMs available

Joe Little jlittle at open-it.org
Wed May 9 17:56:32 CEST 2001

Yes, Open-IT would "love" help :)

BTW -- I'm new to the list and not entirely interested in doing work
already done by others. I'm not complaining.. just trying to gauge
current level of functionality and interest. First, let me state that

a) Open-IT, if it does port something or create something, it will be
maintained by the group.. all our other software kinda depends on it :)

b) check out http://open-it.org/LDAPAdaptor
-- Ryan did this work for me back in the OpenLDAP 1.x days. It was an EO
adaptor for WebObjects which is more similar to Zope than not.
NeXT/Apple didn't think the abstraction necessary to treat an LDAP
server as a DB for its enterprise objects was possible, so we stupidly
tried and succeeded. They have since made a commercial version based on
Ryan's ideas for WebObjects. The key thing was the OO level abstraction
that was obtained to allow the GUI kit to work. Python-LDAP may be
suitable to fit this role. But "unmaintained" code is not. I'd either
need to be assured its maintained or maintain something, the current
stuff or something new, myself. I just wish an LDAP module was standard
to Python and/or Zope. Its kind of odd that there isn't one. I may need
to use SWIG, use the current code, or model connectivity after ZyDB
style modules (again, it can be done!).

You ask for feature requirements? Since we plan on working on OpenLDAP
backends (transactions, etc), we need specifically to support v3 schema,
OpenLDAP v2 ACLs, StartTLS, among others to name a few. I have myself
put together and "maintain" RPMs for Python-LDAP w/ the patches to work
against OpenLDAP v2.

David Leonard... I had a nice reply to your last message all written up
when I experienced my first MacOSX "desktop" crash... apparently the
internet radio station I was listening to wedged up and there went my
interface for whatever reason. Most of my long ranting is in the above
details. People may hate pine, but its disaster-recovery for lost
sessions would be a nice feature in ALL mailers.

					-Joe