distutils

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Sat May 12 14:29:31 CEST 2001

David Leonard wrote:

> i plan to
>         * move towards just supporting OpenLDAP 2, and
>         * delete all the gnu autoconf gunk

How about thread-safety only possible with Mozilla SDK?

Hmm, I thought of the following:

SWIG modules for every LDAP C SDK out there which should not be
directly used by an application. The SWIG modules should wrap *all*
functions provided by a C SDK.

Python LDAPObject class as an abstraction layer which hides the
SWIG-ed functions of the C SDK providing an API compatible to recent
python-ldap. For each underlying C SDK there should be a specific
implementation class.

Now the SWIG folks could start wrapping the OpenLDAP 1.2.x, 2.0.x
and Mozilla C SDK without having to provide a nice Python API and I
promise to write Python wrapper classes compatible to recent
python-ldap.

This is just an quick idea. Let me know what you all think.