python-ldap and openldap 2.07

donal.hunt2 at mail.dcu.ie donal.hunt2 at mail.dcu.ie
Sat May 12 11:25:55 CEST 2001

I'm fairly new to this list but came across the python-ldap module while
searching for components for a project I'm doing.

Basically I'm writing some code for the Mailman mailing list software, so
that it can do authentication, subscription, etc by LDAP. Have the authentication
working after some initial playing with the python-ldap module, but I can't
for the life of me modify any values in the ldap directory.

Having read some of the previous discussion on this list (ANNC and query:
ldapmodule-1.10a3-patched RPMs available), it looks like the problem I'm
having is to do with OpenLDAP and it's ACLs.  Am i correct in thinking this???

If so, am i correct in thinking there is a "patch" to solve the problem
or should i look at what other modules or APIs that allow python to use
the LDAP protocol?

I'm using: RedHat 6.2, OpenLDAP 2.07, BeOpen-Python-2.0 and python-ldap-1.10alpha3.

Thanks

Donal Hunt

*I may just be just making errors in my code, but i'm nearly sure i'm not*
the line of code i'm using:
res = l.modify_s(user_dn, [(MOD_REPLACE, 'userPassword', [new_pw])])
where:
user_dn = cn=huntd2,ou=RedGiant,o=DCU
new_pw = newpw

is there a way to get the LDAP error codes back from the python-ldap module??