compilation error

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Thu May 24 15:34:02 CEST 2001

Joe Little wrote:

> you'll notice that 1.2.x will slowly be unsupported/unavailable.

OpenLDAP 1.2.x is actively maintained. See the recent 1.2.12 release
a couple of days ago.

> If nothing else, the OpenLDAP 2.x patches should like become
> proper to the source tree so that users can use any modern system.

Unfortunately your patch for linking python-ldap against OpenLDAP
2.0.x breaks some existing python-ldap code (deref, alias options)
without giving extra functionality. Look into Konstantin's patch
which is a little bit more complete regarding LDAP options.

We already had this discussion on-list and off-list several
times. Up to now *nobody* raised his virtual hand saying "I will do
it, maintain it for at least a couple of months and write
documentation". David is not available for working on it at the
moment.

Although I personally don't like a SWIG approach I already made
suggestions how I could contribute to a SWIG-based low-level LDAP
API by writing a nice Python wrapper above it. This means I'm really
willing to put my time into this. I'm still waiting for at least one
serious response from the SWIG crowd saying "Yes, I will do it!". I
had a short look at the swig-ldap code posted by Sascha but could
not compile it on my box.

The argument that OpenLDAP 2.x is more modern does not stand for its
own.
Solaris developers could argue that Solaris already ships with
Netscape/Mozilla SDK which is quite incompatible to the OpenLDAP 2.x
libs - but thread-safe. Which way to go? My question regarding which
SDK to choose was not answered by anybody here yet. It was not even
discussed at all!

Just to show you one example how detailed problems are:
Today I experienced that OpenLDAP 2.0.10 has a slightly different
behaviour regarding referrals with Konstantin's python-ldap patches
than OpenLDAP 2.0.7. If you actually don't have to deal with these
kind of problems it's far less hassle to stick to the OpenLDAP 1.2.x
libs until one of you really bites the bullet and does the heavy
work.

I repeat myself: A couple of patches will not fit the bill because
otherwise people will complain that it's immature and unusable.