Returning sorted sets

nick at Brainstorm.co.uk nick at Brainstorm.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 16:36:00 CEST 2001

This one should really go in the FAQ for LDAP beginners like me :-)

I've implemented an LDAP search interface, but as we know, results are
returned unsorted.  Python doesn't do too badly at this (although I
can't help thinking it would be faster if underlying C routines did
it).  But sorting on the client side becomes problematic in a cgi which
wants to show just 20 results at a time.

Ideally, I want my search interface to return just 20 records at a time,
which are a sorted subset of a larger result set.  Does the LDAP
protocol allow this?  I'm trying to think how else to do a multiple-page
search interface, ala current search engines with the footer

[ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | next --> ]

Any ideas?

Cheers, nick

PS - Thanks for a useful tool.