Rép. : Re: NDS library linking

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Sat Sep 8 16:08:06 CEST 2001

Timothy Wilson wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Olivier Dewit wrote:
>
> > Thank you for your explanation. I'm not sure it is a NDS/LDAP problem.
>
> I'm not a python-ldap expert by any stretch of the imagination, but have
> you tried accessing your NDS using http://web2ldap.de/ ? I use it to query
> our public directory occasionally.

Sorry for jumping on this so late.

Always use recent CVS version tagged with OPENLDAP_1_BRANCH for
linking against OpenLDAP 1.2.x libs or old Netscape/Novell libs
since there were some serious bug fixes done during the last
months.  AFAIK old Netscape 3 and old Novell libs are not available
anymore.

Following the discussion thread I'm not sure what the question with
Novell NDS really was.

1. If you want to link python-ldap against Novell's NDS libs you
might be lost. As I understand some press releases the Novell LDAP
libs are based on OpenLDAP libs though I'm not sure. If Novell's lib
is based on OpenLDAP 2.0.x libs (likely for leveraging LDAPv3) the
same issues arise like linking python-ldap against OpenLDAP 2.0.x
libs: You will need a proper patch for HEAD branch but you're on
your own working with that.

I'd like to hear experiences on that including exact version
numbers!

2. You should be able to use python-ldap to access a NDS server. You
might wanna try web2ldap's online demo for checking your server,
e.g. http://sites.inka.de:8002/web2ldap/ldapurl?ldap://www.nldap.com
(note that the demo is running with a patched python-ldap built
against OpenLDAP 2.0.x libs).