patch for Internationalization support (iconv)

js9s at netscape.net js9s at netscape.net
Tue Oct 16 12:44:24 CEST 2001

I have sent to Leonard  the patch, but did not get any indication of its being received, so here I send the patch again, see if it is useful to other people.

 I just worked out the python-ldap so that it will convert the local characters to utf8 or vice versa according to the user locale setup.   This is done because OpenLdap currently only support utf8, one has to make the  translation mannually getting in or out of openldap.   I tested on zh_CN.GB2312 (simplified Chinese), and it worked.  By no means it is a complete test, but it is a good start, and it worked for me.  The patch was generated against the CVS tree check out yesterday, so it is pretty recent.
Here is the patch in the attachment.