Python-LDAP-dev digest, Vol 1 #179 - 1 msg

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Thu Oct 18 20:22:43 CEST 2001

Art Vossberg wrote:

> >FYI: With web2ldap I already try to handle differences of
> >python-ldap built against different versions of the OpenLDAP libs.
> >This works fairly well with the patches exposing the "version"
> >attribute. I take the presence of the "version" attribute as
> >indicator that the OpenLDAP 2 libs are used.
> >
> What patches are you referring to ?

You can find them in the mailing list archives. Konstantin announced
to check in his patches soon but did not find the time yet, I guess.
The OpenLDAP 2 libs adaption in web2ldap is exactly something I've
implemented for him because he definitely needs LDAPv3 binds
(instead of LDAPv2).

> >However if the python-ldap was built against OpenLDAP 2 libs with
> >patches which does not expose the "version" attribute it is assumed
> >that the OpenLDAP 1 libs are in place and setting the LDAP
> >connection options via attribute "options" obviously fails.
> >
> I looked at ldapsession and grepped everything in site to see where
> openldap version is set.
> However, I am still getting the same error messages.

As I wrote above setting the "options" attribute fails. Check out
LDAPSession.__setattr__().

Sorry, just removing code in web2ldap's modules isn't the solution.
The solution is to inform the maintainer of your python-ldap RPM or
patched source tree that attribute "version" and probably some
others are not exposed properly.