LDAP.SIZELIMIT_EXCEEDED exception thrown erroneously?

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Tue Dec 4 21:01:59 CET 2001

Nick Reinking wrote:

> Oh!  I realize my mistake.  I guess I should have done some research on what
> "size limit" means in LDAP. I had thought it meant the maximum number of
> matches, not the maximum number of DNs to iterate over.

It is a server-side limit. It has nothing to do with python-ldap in
the first place. Refer to your LDAP server's documentation to figure
out what this limit exactly means. Depending on the server's
implementation there could be various types of limits.

> Perhaps the description could be changed to something a bit more clear?

No, it can't be changed in python-ldap. The textual description is
sent by the LDAP server. python-ldap does exactly the right thing:
Raise an exception matching the error code and pass the error text
provided by the LDAP server in the exception instance to the
application.

As always proper error handling in your application gets complicated
if you want to do it correctly and complete...