TLS context

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Wed Jan 2 03:59:17 CET 2002

Joe Little wrote:

> first, another error. It looks like Lib/ldap.py is not found and a warning
> is thrown.

Module ldap was turned in a module package. See Lib/ldap/.

> The generated files are handled differently by setup.py, and I
> get a different file list. Also, a noticed a version string of
> python-ldap-2.0.0pre1.. should I use this instead of naming it
> "python-ldap-cvs-pythonv"

Use a timestamp until a (pre-)release is done.

> Here is the file list (/usr/share/doc excepted):
>
> /usr/lib/python2.1/site-packages ....
>
> _ldap.so
> ldapurl.py
> ldif.py
> ldap/__init__.py
> ldap/async.py
> ldap/functions.py
> ldap/ldapobject.py
> ldap/modlist.py

Nothing wrong with that.

> There used to be an ldap.pth generated

Pre-DistUtils days, was never available on Win32 anyway.

> and other such, and it definitely include an ldap.py before.

See ldap/__init__.py.

> It also does not pre-compile any .py file.

Can I pass DistUtils an option to enable byte-compiling before
packaging?

> This is all changed behaviour so to speak with distutils.

Was byte-compiling enabled in your RPM before? How?

> I cannot perform a
> "install" since it will only generate onto the real directories and not an
> alternative build root.

What's wrong with using python setup.py bdist_rpm ? BTW: It contains
byte-compiled *.pyc files in my case (tested right now).

> Checking a real install, the only thing lacking is
> the precompile of .py files, and I believe that is not necessary.

When installing from source distribution (packaged with python
setup.py sdist) this will do the trick:
$ python setup.py install -O1
$ python setup.py install -O2

You could also write a small post-install script using
compileall.py.