Cygwin python-ldap (was Re: Installation Problem)

Jason Tishler jason at tishler.net
Thu Jan 3 15:54:49 CET 2002

Michael,

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 03:01:53PM +0100, Michael Ströder wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 02, 2002 at 07:19:54PM +0100, Michael Ströder wrote:
> > > But beware it *solely* works with OpenLDAP 2 libs which up to now
> > > are not available on e.g. Win32. Win32 C compiler hackers jump on
> > > in!
> >
> > I don't know about the precise status of Win32, but it works very nicely
> > under Cygwin.
>
> Can you please be more verbose?

Yes, sorry for my terseness.  I didn't think people would be interested,
so I opted for the short version.

> Did you compile DLLs of OpenLDAP 2 libs?

No, just static ones.  When the Cygwin-ized libtool work is completed,
then they should come for free...

> Do you have python-ldap working?

Yes, I have been using python-ldap under Cygwin since August 2000.
The minor Cygwin specific changes were committed to python-ldap CVS in
March 2001:

    http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/1568/2001/3/0/5307464/

> Any tweaking necessary during build process?

Not much.  See attached setup.cfg and the following for a small OpenLDAP
2.x patch:

Note that the setup.cfg libs line is only necessary on a temporary
basis.  It can go back to its default value once a DLL rebase solution
to Cygwin's fork() problem is implemented.  If interested, see the
following:

> Willing to share Win32 binaries?

Of course!  A pre-built version for Cygwin Python 2.2, installable by
Cygwin's setup.exe is available at:

    http://www.tishler.net/jason/software/python-ldap/python-ldap-20020101-1.tar.bz2

If people are interested, then I will formally contribute a pre-built
python-ldap to the standard Cygwin distribution.

Jason