Install problem [python-ldap-2.0.0pre04]

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Mon Feb 11 00:09:10 CET 2002

Jacek Konieczny wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 10, 2002 at 07:04:46PM +0100, Michael Ströder wrote:
> > > or is the new standard to use LDAP URLs??
> >
> > It is the new standard. OpenLDAP 2's ldap.h marks ldap_open() as
> > deprecated.
> AFAIK it is pepreciated in favor of ldap_init() (which initializes
> connection object, but doesn't connect till the first operation).
>
> ldap_initialize() is a quite different thing, IMHO much more usefull.

Hmm, what to do? I stripped the wrapping functions for ldap_open()
and ldap_init() from LDAPObject.c. Is anyone in favour of having
these wrapped directly?

I would rather vote for making ldap.initialize() more smart or
implement a smart separate function. E.g. trying to set the right
protocol version would be nice (try LDAPv3 first and correctly fall
back to LDAPv2).