problem with modify using python-ldap

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Mon May 27 21:12:17 CEST 2002

Howard Chu wrote:
 >>    do_modify: dn (iuEduUPID=9900000004,ou=people,dc=iu,dc=edu)
 >>    modifications:
 >>            delete: iuEduMailDeliveryTo
 >>            add: iuEduMailDeliveryTo
 >>    ldbm_back_modify:
 >>    ldbm_modify_internal: delete
 >>    removing entire attribute iuEduMailDeliveryTo
 >>    ldbm_modify_internal: add
 >>    ldbm_modify_internal: replace
 >>    ldbm_modify_internal: replace
 >>    ldap_read: want=1 error=Resource temporarily unavailable
 >> **** hangs for about 9 seconds here ****
 >>    send_ldap_result: 0::
 >
> The "Resource Unavailable" message means a system call failed with errno =
> EAGAIN. In this case, ldap_read was trying to read from the connection and
> there was no data available. Sounds like the python library isn't flushing
> the entire LDAP request out to the network.

Hmm, I have no clue why that happens. I've never had this problem
except with some very strange LDAP servers like bigfoot's.

Howard, how to make sure the LDAP request is flushed?

Allan, if this problem occurs again can you post the relevant
snippets of your Python code and can you also use trace_level=1
when calling ldap.open() or ldap.initialize() which writes a trace
log containing all the python-ldap API calls (maybe solely on
python-ldap-dev).