fetching the structure / obejctClass defs

Hans Aschauer Hans.Aschauer at Physik.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Jun 3 13:08:11 CEST 2002

On Sonntag, 2. Juni 2002 20:31, Michael Ströder wrote:

> Hans Aschauer wrote:

[...]

>  > Does anybody know of some high-level overview (i.e. tutorial
>  > style, not RFC's) on this basic-encoding-rules thing (and, if
>  > possible, how it is used in (open)ldap)?
>
> There's something called "A Layman's Introduction to BER, DER and
> ASN.1" on RSA's web site.

Thank you!

> Hmm, then it does not make sense to me. Also I believe that we can
> come up with a better Pythonic design if we define thoroughly
> thought Python classes.

Ok, I think you are right. I just took a deeper look at the sources, and
the code seems to look like hand-coded regular expressions. Rewriting
this in python does really make sense...

BTW: Do you know of a more or less complete list of syntax descriptions?
I know sites like http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/top.html, and for
many syntaxes there are BNF definitions (which is just fine), but
sometimes they reference material which I cannont find online (e.g. the
syntax for telefon numbers, 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.50, is described
in E.123).

Hans

--
Hans.Aschauer at Physik.uni-muenchen.de